About Me

My photo
I'm Nicole, I am a full time student trying to get back on track with my fitness and I am hoping to help others do the same.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Healthy Holiday Sides



Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Forget the processed stuff in the can! I discovered this year that homemade cranberry sauce is one of the easiest things to make… EVER! I significantly cut down on the sugar for this recipe, because I like to reduce my sugar intake if possible and I enjoy the natural tartness of cranberries. The result was AMAZING just the right combination of tart and sweet.

1 C water
1/3 C sugar
4 C fresh or frozen cranberries
Optional: blueberries (for natural sweetness!), orange zest, pecans, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice. (I added in the cinnamon and nutmeg)

1.    Bring the sugar and water to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add cranberries. Once the mixture has started to boil again reduce the heat and simmer until the cranberries burst which should take about ten minutes.
2.    Add in any optional ingredients you would like.
3.    Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Chill in refrigerator (the sauce will thicken as it cools).
4.    Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment